Test Run Hotel
After scrambling to head home from Menlo Park, I got home in the nick of time, strapped on my monitor, and stepped over to the track. I’ve come to realize through some research lately, that when I push at the track, I spike the heart rate monitor because I’m out of shape. Someone asked me today, “You seem to have gained a lot of weight and you’re really out of shape. So, isn’t all this workout talk just a fantasy?” My response: “Fat old weak guy becomes lean, mean, and powerful by working hard.” I’m also being very careful not to injure myself in the opening months and build a habit of getting sore every day.
I monitored the warm up and the cool down walks home and count those toward my workout. Let’s talk about the run first, though. Today, I just really wanted to have a good run on the track, get my heart rate up, and post some times that have been faster than usual lately—not a lot faster, but just a little. On a quarter mile track, it’s easy to gauge your split speed by timing each lap. I just aimed to do my laps under three minutes each.
Recognizing that I always go over my target zone and frequently go over my max heart rate zone, I set my heart rate monitor to OwnZone Basic (65 – 85% MHR) and ran one mile around the track, drank from my water bottle and let my heart rate go from 180 back down to 150, then did the second mile.
- Distance: 2.00 miles (3.2187 km)
- Time: 22:08 (11:04 / mile – 5.42 mph avg)
- Heart Rate Max: 194 bpm (105%)
- Heart Rate Avg: 176 bpm (96%)
- APFT Score for run: 20 (required to pass: 60 – 17:42)
- Goal for August: 50 – 18:48 (3:20 faster)
- Energy burned: 395 kCal (15% fat) => 59 kCal fat
The warm up and cool down involved walking to and from my house for a total distance of about 1.7 miles.
- Distance: 1.67 miles (2.6876 km)
- Time: 27:52 (16:41 / mile – 3.63 mph avg)
- Heart Rate Max: 146 bpm (79%)
- Heart Rate Avg: 133 bpm (72%)
- Time in Heart Rate Zone (128 – 156 bpm): 24:36
- Energy burned: 305 kCal (52% fat) => 159 kCal fat
And now for the weigh in. We’re getting closer and closer, but I’m still 25 pounds from my goal of 165 pounds.
- Apollo’s Statistics
- Height: 70 inches (1.778 m)
- Weight: 190.0 lb (86.18 kg) [-6.0 lb]
- BMI: 27.26 (-0.86) [Overweight]
- Goal Weight: 165 lb (74.84 kg) [23.67 BMI]